Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Noli Me Tangere Alternate Ending: A Father's Affection


by Victoria Margaret Calimon

            Maria Clara is set to to be wed to Linares in a big ceremony in the parish of San Diego. It is becoming the talk of the whole town for two weeks now and everyone, including the women of gossip around town, have been spreading that Maria Clara’s wedding to Linares is going to be the most grandiose in all of San Diego. This situation, however, is proving to make Maria Clara feel the exact opposite. Since hearing about Ibarra’s drowning in the lake, she has never been seen to smile or attend social gatherings in San Diego.

She is sitting by the window, thinking about what would have happened had Ibarra was with her today, to be married to her in a few days. Just the thought of Ibarra’s smile everytime they are alone together—Ibarra  saying the most poetic of love declarations—makes Maria Clara’s heart hurt a little more. She thinks it is much better to let herself feel the pain of a lover’s loss than be resolved with her current situation—to be soon married to a man she does not love. A moment later, Maria Clara felt two hands cover her eyes and was surprised to see that Padre Damaso has payed her a visit.

“How are you, my dear Maria Clara? I’m certain that everyone has been awaiting your wedding with Linares. I, personally, am also attending as I want to bear witness of your true happiness,” the Franciscan said.

Maria Clara could not get words out of her mouth. She was both dumbfounded by the mere presence of Padre Damaso in her own home and extremely uncomfortable that people like him is also very much excited for the wedding. Damaso has noticed her reaction.

“What’s wrong, my dear? Is there something not yet settled for the wedding? Tell me, I’ll know what to do. Oh, I hate to see you like this, Maria!” Damaso exclaimed.

Maria Clara is trembling but finally found her words. “I don’t… I can’t… Oh, Padre!”

“Maria, Dios mio! Please don’t cry. I will do whatever it takes to make you feel wonderful again. Oh, Maria, want is wrong? Tell your godfather.”

“You will do anything, Padre?” Maria tries to stop crying and wipes the tears off her face.

“Yes, darling. Anything. Just tell me.”

“I don’t want to get married. Not now, not ever,” Maria says as she looks to the ground.

Padre Damaso could not believe what he just heard. “But Maria… Why would you like to break off a potentially wonderful marriage? Linares is the perfect man for you. He will take care of you and give you beautiful children. You will be safe.”

“I can never marry anyone other than him. It has always been him. I was very willing to be with Crisostomo despite all the struggles as long as we will always be together. And now that they killed him, I have no other reason to live. I shall never be wed to anyone else. The nunnery or the tomb!” Maria says, verging again of tears.

“But… Oh, you foolish girl. Maria, I beg you to listen to what you are saying. Linares…he is a very eligible gentleman for you! He can do more than what Crisostomo Ibarra can! He will love you for the rest of your lives,” Damaso pleaded.

Maria Clara cannot say anything more. She is crying uncontrollably, facing the ground, thinking again about his dear, dear Crisostomo.

“You really do love him, don’t you?” Damaso asks.

“I do, godfather, more than anything in the world. Forgive me but I really cannot do this. I cannot marry Linares. I’ll be living a lie for the rest of my life if I do.”

“Oh, Maria. I cannot bear this. I will never forgive myself if I let you inside the convent. Believe me when I say it is way worse than being locked up in a prison cell, limiting your every actions for your entire life. I certainly would never allow that to happen to you, my dear, lovely Maria. Therefore, I have resolved to allow you not to marry Linares, if that will make you most happy,” Damaso says, tears welling up in his eyes.

“Oh, godfather! You cannot imagine how I feel right now. I am free from the heavy baggage of being someone I have never loved, someone I cannot see myself live the rest of my life with. Oh, Padre, thank you! Maria exclaims with full joy.

“I will never part with you, my dear Maria, to anyone you do not love. You deserve a full and happy life, a life with contentment. And even though you do not have your precious love with you, I hope and pray that you live your life with bright things to come ahead of you. You can leave this town, this country, and make a new life for yourself and your father,” Damaso says.

“Oh, I will Padre. I will go to the Americas and start a new life. I will live with new spirits but my love and memories of Crisostomo will forever be etched in my fragile heart,” Maria says hopefully.


Padre Damaso feels hurt that Maria will have to endure life without her love, without the man of her life. But he finds hope for a better one for her. He leaves the house and as he reaches the steps outside, he says, “God, I have terribly sinned but let your vengeance fall on me alone. Do not let anything or anyone harm Maria. My dear, darling daughter.”

1 comments:

Unknown said...

the goods

Post a Comment

 

LiteraRizal Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger