Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Noli Me Tangere Alternate Ending: A Mistake for Love



              The merriment brought on by her impending marriage to Linares continued to sour Maria Clara's spirits. Exasperated with all the laughter and music from the party, Maria Clara went outside to be alone in the azotea. When she finally cannot withstand the heavy betrayal and hurt that stirred in her heart, she broke down and cried her heart out. 


When finally alone with her thoughts, Maria Clara began to despair over the unfortunate news that she carried with her – the truth of her parentage and the horrifying future that Ibarra has in front of him. She sighed dejectedly and anxiously mulled over her troubles underneath the night sky.


“Oh, dear Lord, no one can ever replace Ibarra in my heart. I am nothing but a hopeless fool who will forever love him,” Maria Clara thought to herself. “If I truly did love him, how did I ever let such misfortunes be brought to him by myself, nonetheless? Tell me Lord, will he ever forgive me for the mistakes that I made?”


A rustling sound from a nearby boat broke Maria Clara out of her reverie. She turned her head towards the noise and was surprised to see the man she prayed for only a mere moment ago. “Crisostomo,” she gasped in disbelief and out of fright.


A few paces from her, the man in question looked unsure and grave – a tremendous change from how he carried himself before. He cleared his throat and replied, “Yes my love, it is me, Crisostomo.” He carefully took a few more steps towards Maria Clara, and reached out to hold her hands.


Maria Clara recoiled and covered her mouth to stop another wave of sobs from erupting. “Is this a dream? Has God sent you here to redeem me of my mistakes or has he sent you here to spite me further than I have already been?” Tears welled in her eyes and she angrily wiped them away.


“I am not here to hurt you Maria Clara. I am only here to tell you that I have forgiven you and you must not despair anymore. I am to go away and leave this place forever. A man called Elias helped me escape but I felt the need to tell you that I hold nothing else but love for you. Truly, I hope that you live a happy life with Linares. Be happy and be well forever, my love.”


A heavy hush fell between the two lovers and the resounding laughter from the house seemed to drown them into oblivion. Crisostomo took one last step coming to Maria Clara and closed the gap between them. He breathed in her scent and clinged on to her as if she was the only tether he has left to keep himself grounded to the earth. “I will always love you, Maria Clara,” he whispered into her ears.


“Take me with you then,” she replied fervently. “I have nothing else to live for if you leave my side forever. Linares will never be able to take your place in my heart. My family may not understand my choice to abandon them now, but I know that they would eventually. My father, no, Kapitan Tiago will forgive me, and I him, in time.”


Confusion clouded the eyes of Ibarra; he cannot fathom why Maria Clara called her father by his name. “What do you mean by calling your father Kapitan Tiago?”


“He is not my real father, Crisostomo. I found out that my life is built on a lie. My real father is,” before she was able to tell Ibarra the real identity of her father, Maria Clara was cut off by the rapping sounds that came from the door connecting the house into the azotea.


“You can tell me the whole story soon, my love. Would you truly go away with me?” Ibarra asked her. Hope seeped out of his voice and his trembling hands showed her how desperate he was. Maria Clara nodded and her eyes shined with unshed tears, she took a deep breath and said, “You were sent here for a reason and that is to rescue me from my despair. I will follow you anywhere as long as I am alive.”
        
              Crisostomo took Maria Clara’s hands grasped them tighter, “Then we must go right away. Elias is waiting down by the riverbank. We must hurry at once.” Crisostomo carefully climbed down the azotea and held up his hands for his lover, “Come here. Be careful of your footing.”
           
              Maria Clara spared one last glance towards her house and went after Ibarra. With a newfound hope, she set off into the night with her one true love. Selfishness be damned, Maria Clara thought, but this moment is the first time that she can positively say that committing a mistake is the best decision that she will ever make in her entire life.


1 comments:

Unknown said...

THE GOODS

Post a Comment

 

LiteraRizal Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger